Tall Ship Bowsprit source
Full-Rigged Ship Christian Radich Under Sails source
British four-masted bark Samaritan at anchor, Commencement Bay, Washington, ca. 1904
Photo by Hester, Wilhelm, 1872-1947 image source
Clipper that sailed out of the port of Galveston, Texas, in the mid-1800s.
Hand Built USS Constellation Wooden Model Ship
USS Constellation, commissioned in 1855, is the second US Navy ship to carry this famous name. According to the US Naval Registry, the original frigate was disassembled in 1853 in Gosport Navy Yard in Norfolk, Va., and the sloop-of-war was constructed in the same yard, possibly with a few recycled materials from the old frigate. USS Constellation is the last sail-only warship designed and built by the US Navy. She served as the flagship of the African Squadron, a unit that suppressed the Trans-Atlantic slave trade off the coast of West Africa, and was active during the American Civil War. Constellation also served as a receiving ship, a training vessel and the flagship of the Atlantic Fleet during World War II. Today, after several renovations, she is permanently berthed in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor where she is open to visitors daily.
Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Tall Ship source
USS Constellation under sail sometime late 1800’s via navsource
USS Constellation was a 38-gun frigate, one of the six original frigates authorized for construction by the Naval Act of 1794. She was distinguished as the first U.S. Navy vessel to put to sea and the first U.S. Navy vessel to engage, defeat, and capture an enemy vessel. Constructed in 1797, she was decommissioned in 1853
After being used as a practice ship for Naval Academy midshipmen, Constellation became a training ship in 1894 for Naval Training Center Newport, where she helped train more than 60,000 recruits during World War I
Charles W Morgan Under Sails
The Charles W. Morgan came back to life this spring. The last American wooden whaling ship once again had saltwater under her 173-year-old keel. Ocean winds buffeted her new suit of sails. She has another captain and a new crew occupying bunks and climbing the rigging. When the Charles W. Morgan first launched on a summer day in New Bedford in 1841, there was nothing particularly special about her. By all accounts she was a fine wooden ship, but just one of 2,700 ships that made up the American whaling fleet, working ships built to travel the world in search of whales and come back home with gallon upon gallon of precious whale oil. But as the whaling industry declined and her sister ships were wrecked, scrapped, or the victims of Confederate raiders or Arctic ice, the Morgan secured her place in history just by surviving. Because of luck, the skill of her sailors and the efforts of those who cared about her, she alone remains to tell the story of America’s whaling era. – See more at: http://vineyardgazette.com/news/2014/06/20/last-her-kind-whaleship-charles-w-morgan-has-strong-ties-vineyard? source
Rigging Plan of Tall Ship
Sailing Schooner via shipbuilding museum
The 132 ton whaling brig Kate Cory was built at Westport Point, MA in 1856. Seventy-five and a half feet long with a twenty-two foot beam, she was the last large ship built within the confines of that port. She was also one of the last whalers built specifically for the trade. Most of the later vessels used for whaling were converted to freighters or fishermen.
Originally rigged as a schooner, Kate Cory was converted to a brig in 1858. This rig made for steadier motion in heavy seas and while cutting in whales.
Brig Pilgrim, Dana Point, Ca source
The original Pilgrim was built in 1825 at a cost of $50,000. Her length was a mere 90 feet compared to the average 110 feet for other vessels of the same class. The purpose of its 1834 voyage was to participate in the California cattle hide trade for her Boston owners, Bryant and Sturgis. The Pilgrim set sail from Boston loaded with New England’s manufactured goods such as shoes, foodstuffs and ironware. When she arrived along the Alta California coast, the Pilgrim sold or traded her New England wares and procured hides from the missions and rancheros to sell back in Boston. The Pilgrim anchored several times at San Juan Bay (Dana Point).
Main Deck Sailing Schooner via oldsaltblog
Kalmar Nyckel Tall Ship
Wilmington, Delaware via shipsofwood
The original Kalmar Nyckel was one of America’s pioneering colonial ships, a Mayflower of the Delaware Valley, yet her remarkable story has never been widely told.The original Kalmar Nyckel served as Governor Peter Minuit’s flagship for the 1638 expedition that founded the colony of New Sweden, establishing the first permanent European settlement in the Delaware Valley, Fort Christina, in present-day Wilmington, Delaware. She would make a total of four roundtrip crossings of the Atlantic, more than any other documented ship of the American colonial era.
Tall Ship Bounty
Bounty was commissioned by the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film studio for the 1962 film Mutiny on the Bounty. She was the first large vessel built from scratch for a film using historical sources. Previous film vessels were fanciful conversions of existing vessels. Bounty was built to the original ship’s drawings from files in the British Admiralty archives, and in the traditional manner by more than 200 workers over an 8-month period at the Smith and Rhuland shipyard in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.To assist film-making and carry production staff, her waterline length was increased from the original 86 to 120 feet (26.2 to 36.6 m) and the beam was also increased. Rigging was scaled up to match. While built for film use, she was fully equipped for sailing because of the requirement to move her a great distance to the filming location.Her construction helped inspire other large sailing replicas such as Bluenose II and HMS Rose via wikipedia
Barque James Craig, 1874 via anmm
Four Masted Barque Pamir
Pamir was a 3.103 tons, 4-masted barque and was lost on 21st September 1957, when she sailed into Hurricane Carrie.
Pamir was on her way from Buenos Aires to Hamburg and sank some 600 miles SW from the Azores. She was used as a cargo first by the Laeisz company in the South American nitrate trade and later as a training ship for the marine.
The last contact reported shredded sails and a 45° list. Of the 86 mariners on board, only 6 managed to survive. She was under the command of Capt. Johannes Diebitsch.
Tall Ship Deck
Sailing Yacht Elena
Tall Ship Upper Deck
Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship. Built on the Clyde in 1869 for the Jock Willis Shipping Line, she was one of the last tea clippers to be built and one of the fastest, coming at the end of a long period of design development which halted as sailing ships gave way to steam propulsion.
HMS Victory source
The Largest Sailing Ship Ever Built “Preussen”
The German steel-hulled five masted ship rigged windjammer “Preussen” was the largest sailing ship ever built, was launched in 1902 and traveled mainly between Hamburg (Germany) and Iquique (Chile). It was rammed by a large steam vessel in 1910. A one way trip between Germany and Chile took the cargo vessel between 58 and 79 days. The best average speed over a one way trip was 13.7 knots. The lowest average speed was 10 knots.
Sailing Ship Mersey. 1894
The Mersey was a 1,829 ton iron-hulled sailing ship with a length of 270.7 feet (82.5 m), beam of 39 feet (12 m) and depth of 22.5 feet (6.9 m). She was built by Charles Connell and Company of Glasgow, named after the River Mersey in north-western England and launched on 18 May 1894 for the Nourse Line. Nourse Line used her primarily to transport of Indian indentured labourers to the British colonies. Details of some of these voyages are as follows, source wikipedia
Sailing Vessels and Rigging Types
Basic Sailing Rigs
Tall Ship “Hannah”
“Hannah” – Built in 1826 at New Brunswick, Canada, the Full-rigged ship “Hannah” had fallen prey under heavy winds floating ice, while fleeing emigrants from Newry to Quebec City, during the Irish Famine in 1849. The impact with an iceberg, on April 29, drilled a hole in the hull of “Hannah”, causing it to sink in 40 minutes, source
Classic Sailboat Under Sails photo by Michel Badia
Upper Deck Tall Ship Wasa
RMS Titanic Ship’s Bell image source
Tall Ships source
“Horst Wessel” is known as USCG Eagle
The U.S.S. Constitution, a three-mast frigate, is the world’s oldest commissioned warship. Built primarily with dense southern live oak, its hull was 21 inches thick in an era when 18 inches was common. Paul Revere forged the copper spikes and bolts that held the planks in place. The 204-foot-long ship was first put to sea in 1798 and its most famous era of naval warfare was the War of 1812 against Britain, when it captured numerous merchant ships and defeated five warships, including the H.M.S. Guerriere. It was during the ferocious battle with the Guerriere that British seamen, astonished at how their cannonballs were bouncing off the Constitution’s hull, cried out, “Sir, Her sides are made from Iron!” Hence, the nickname, “Old Ironsides.” The Constitution today is a national landmark and is currently docked in Boston.
Square Topsail Schooner Lynx image source
The Lynx, a Square Topsail Schooner was designed and built to interpret the general configuration and operation of a privateer schooner or naval schooner from the War of 1812. The Lynx was one of the first ships to defend American freedom. Dedicated to all those who cherish the blessings of America, Lynx sails as a living history museum, providing inspiration and resolve at this time in our nation’s history. The Lynx crew members wear period uniforms and operate the ship in keeping with the maritime traditions of early 19th century America to complement the Ship’s historic character. Lynx is sponsored by Allen Insurance and Financial
Lynx is a square topsail schooner based in Newport Beach, California. She is an interpretation of an American privateer vessel of the same name from 1812. The original Lynx played its part in running the British blockade, assisting the then almost non-existent American naval forces, and defending the American coastal waters and merchant ships against the Royal Navy.
The Prince de Neufchatel was a fast sailing United States schooner rigged privateer built in New York by Noah and Adam Brown in approximately 1812. She is a fine example of the peak of development of the armed schooner. So successful was she that in 1813, operating in the English channel, nine British prizes were taken in quick succession.
Neufchatel was 33.73 meters long at the gundeck, 7.82 meters abeam, and displaced 328 long tons. Her armament consisted of sixteen 12 pound carronades and two long six pounders.
Neufchatel operated in mainly European waters, damaging British shipping during the War of 1812. Noted for her speed, at one time she outran seventeen Man o war. She also at one point in her career fought off the boats of the British frigate Endymion.
She met her fate during a December 1814 half-gale when three British frigates sighted her and began to pursue. Under the strain of the large sail area her masts sprung. Not being able to out run the three British frigates and was forced to surrender. Captured and taken to England she was damaged beyond repair on the back of the sill of a dock gate as she was leaving for service with the British Navy.
Amerigo Vespucci from the Air image source
Amerigo Vespucci Tall Ship Italian Traning Vessel
The Italian Tall Ship Amerigo Vespucci is a Sail Training Tall Ship, it was launched on February 22nd 1931 and it was incorporated in the Italian Navy on June 6th of the same year.
The ship was conceived with the purpose of maintaining a high quality level in the Naval Academy Cadets’ military education and training.
From a technical and structural point of view, the Vespucci is a three-decks sail tall ship with a diesel-electric propulsion system and exhibits, from bow to stern, three masts (the foremast- the main mast- the mizzen mast); the tallest is 54 meters high (about 177 ft), equipped with yards and square sails, plus the bowsprit which functions as a fourth mast, for a total sail surface (24 sails) of proximally 2.600 square meters. The ship is 101 meters (331 ft) long (overall).
The sails are made from a particular cloth named Olona (canapé thread, 2 to 4 millimetres thick).
On the Vespucci all the sails are manoeuvred manually, using ropes made of natural and synthetic fibres. It is equipped with 11 ship’s boats.
Compounded of about 280 members, the crew is considered the beating heart of the ship, divided in 18 Officers, 72 NCOs (Non Commissioned Officers) and 190 sailors performing numerous roles and duties. When the Naval Academy Cadets and Support Staff embark the number increases up to proximally 420 units.
On July 2007 ITS Amerigo Vespucci was appointed as a “Goodwill Ambassador” for UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund, to spread a message of peace to all the children, all over the world.
DISPLACEMENT 4000 TONS
OVERALL LENGH 101 MT (331 ft)
OVERALL LENGH (WITHOUT BOWSPRIT) 82 MT (269 ft)
BEAM 16 MT (52,4ft)
OVERALL BEAM 28 MT (92 ft)
MAXIMUM DRAUGHT 7,50 MT (24,6 ft)
SAIL SQUARE 2.400 M2
FORE MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 50 MT (164 ft)
MAIN MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 54 MT (177 ft)
MIZZEN MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 43 MT (141 ft)
Launched in 1937, just only two years before the start of World War II, the sail-training ship Christian Radich was named for a patron of the Christiania (later Oslo) Schoolship Association who left a bequest of 90,000 Norwegian crowns in 1915 for the building of a schoolship. The ship made one short cruise in 1938, followed the next year by her first transatlantic voyage, to New York for the World’s Fair.
Christian Radich returned to Norway in late 1939, only to be taken over by German occupation forces at Horten in April 1940. War’s end found her capsized at Flensburg, Germany, stripped of virtually all metal and fittings except her shell plating and decks. After £70,000 worth of salvage and repair at her builders in Sandefjord, she resumed sail training in 1947. One of the most regular participants in tall ships races and other events in Europe and North America, by the start of her second half century under sail, Christian Radich had been both witness to and a catalyst for the remarkable resurgence of interest in sail training and traditional sail generally worldwide.
Pommern Four Masted Barque source
Christian Radich The Tall Ships Races – 2015 via facebook
Pommern ( 1903 ) Four Masted Barque, image source
The Pommern, formerly the Mneme (1903–1908), is a windjammer. She is a four-masted barque that was built in 1903 in Glasgow, Scotland at the J. Reid & Co shipyard.
The Pommern (German for Pomerania) is one of the Flying P-Liners, the famous sailing ships of the German shipping company F. Laeisz. Later she was acquired by Gustaf Erikson of Mariehamn in the FinnishÅland archipelago, who used her to carry grain from the Spencer Gulf area in Australia to harbours in England or Ireland until the start of World War II. After World War Two, she was donated to the town of Mariehamn as a museum ship (source)
The Harvey was built in 1847 in the state of Maryland. She was an able sailer working out of the port of Galveston Texas. At the turn out the Century she was making several voyages a year between Galveston and the ancient Jewish port of Jaffa which at the time was still under the Ottaman empire.
Her main cargo was hemp used to make ropes for the rigging of ships. She exemplified this class of roving privateers, overtaking and capturing British merchantmen laden with cargo to support the British expeditionary forces then attempting to recapture the former colonies. She had a successful career, first as a warrior and then as a cargo carrier. She displaced about 225 tons, and had a length of 97 feet, a width of 25 feet and a depth of less than 11 feet.
With the end of the war, transatlantic trade resumed, and the Baltimore clipper evolved over the next 30 years to take the form of larger cargo carrying packets. These had similar hull lines and were longer, slimmer, and faster than older merchant ships.
Tall Ship source
A junk is an ancient Chinese sailing ship design that is still in use today. Junks were developed during the Song Dynasty (960–1279) and were used as seagoing vessels as early as the 2nd century AD. They evolved in the later dynasties, and were used throughout Asia for extensive ocean voyages. They were found, and in lesser numbers are still found, throughout South-East Asia and India, but primarily in China. Found more broadly today is a growing number of modern recreational junk-rigged sailboats.
The term junk may be used to cover many kinds of boat—ocean-going, cargo-carrying, pleasure boats, live-aboards. They vary greatly in size and there are significant regional variations in the type of rig, however they all employ fully battened sails source wikipedia
History Of Pirates From the Smithsonian Library: Charles Johnson, “A general history of the pyrates, from their first rise and settlement in the Island of Providence, to the present time.,” 1724. photo source
Tall Ship Rigging
1897 The Foudroyant Wreck
The Foudroyant, launched in 1798, was the flagship of Admiral Nelson after the Battle of the Nile, from June 1799 to June 1800. In 1892 she was about to be broken up but was saved and restored to her original state. To offset the restoration cost of £20,000 she was put on display at seaside resorts. On 16 June 1897, she dragged her moorings during a violent storm and ran ashore on the pleasure beach at Blackpool, near the North Pier. There was no loss of life but she was badly damaged, and in November she was dashed to pieces by winter gales. She continued to be a major attraction to visitors, however, and all salvageable timber and metal was used to produce pieces of memorabilia and furniture, source
Four Masted Barque Kruzenshtern
The Kruzenshtern or Krusenstern (Russian: Барк «Крузенштерн») is a Russian four masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 in Bremerhaven-Wesermünde, Germany, as shipyard number “S408” under the name Padua (named after the eponymous Italian city). She was given to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770-1846) source
Tall Ship Rigging
Sails of the Past
Tall Ships in the Battle
Tall Ship Sedov Photo by Valery Vasilevskiy
Frigate Training Vessel Denmark Under Sails via wikipedia
The Danmark is a full-rigged ship owned by the Danish Maritime Authority and based at the Maritime Training and Education Center in Frederikshavn, Denmark
The frigate Shtandart was the first ship of Russia’s Baltic fleet. Her keel was laid on April 24, 1703 at the Olonetsky shipyard near Olonets by the decree of Tsar Peter I and orders issued by commander Aleksandr Menshikov. The vessel was built by the Dutch shipwright Vybe Gerens under the direct supervision of the tsar. She was the first flagship of the Imperial Russian Navy and was in service until 1727. The name Shtandart was also given to the royal yachts of the tsars until the Russian Revolution in 1917. Tsar Nicholas II’s royal yacht was last of this series.
Sailing Tall Ship source
Sailing Ship In The Storm
Elissa Under Sails
|The Kruzenshtern or Krusenstern (Russian: Барк «Крузенштерн») is a Russian four masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 in Bremerhaven-Wesermünde, Germany, as shipyard number “S408” under the name Padua (named after the eponymous Italian city). She was given to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770-1846).
On January 12, 1946 she was given to the USSR to be integrated into the Soviet Baltic Fleet. She was moored in Kronstadt harbour until 1961 where she underwent major repairs and a refit (e. g. the installation of her first engines) for her missions under leadership of the Hydrographic Department of the Soviet Navy. From 1961 to 1965 the ship performed many hydrographic and oceanographical surveys for the Academy of Sciences of the USSR in the Atlantic ocean, the Caribbean, and Mediterranean, and was used as a training vessel for naval cadets. In 1965 she was transferred to the USSR Ministry of Fisheries in Riga to be used as a schoolship for future fishery officers. From 1968-72 a major modernisation took place, installing her current set of engines and applying her current hull paint – black with a wide white stripe including black ‘portholes’ which from a distance look just like real gunports. The painting (by the Soviet owners) on the side suggests the presence of cannons, but that is just an illusion.
Aniva Lighthouse, Sakhalin, Russia. Built under extremely difficult conditions on jagged rock just off the southeastern cape of Sakhalin island, the Mys Aniva lighthouse has stood for 3/4 of a century. Japan built the lighthouse in the late 1930s when Sakhalin was split between Japan & the USSR. At the end of WW II, the Soviets seized the whole of Sakhalin, & installed an RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator) to supply electricity to the lamp – yes, this was a nuclear-powered lighthouse!
1939. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 24 s. 31 m (102 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. This light marks the very sharp cape at the southeastern corner of Sakhalin, on the north side of the eastern entrance to La Pérouse Strait. The lighthouse incorporates 7 floors of crew quarters; its construction at this isolated and dangerous spot was a significant accomplishment of Japanese engineering. Today the lighthouse is battered by the weather and much in need of restoration, but restoration has been complicated by remains of a nuclear power unit installed by the Soviets. Apparently this unit was removed recently. Located on a small islet just off the point of the cape. Accessible only by boat in very dangerous seas. Site and tower closed. via rememberingletters